Novel Adventures

Novel Adventures
Come visit us

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Gone With The Wind Tour

Return From Gone With The Wind



Another Novel Adventure to add to our completed list. We just spent 6 days touring Atlanta and Savannah and enjoying all things Scarlett. We stayed in some of Georgia's most beautiful Bed and Breakfasts and experienced Southern Hospitality at it's finest. I truly felt I had been invited into the homes of dear old friends. It was an experience I had not expected. We had stayed in many Bed and Breakfasts while in Europe and it is hard to find proprietors who treat guests with such a welcome. Aside from the personal welcoming we received the homes we stayed in were simply breathtaking. I felt as if we were staying in 1860. The homes we stayed in were restored to Pre-Civil War grandeur. Crystal chandeliers in every room. Old wooden floors polished to a mirror shine, complete with the remains of nailed in repairs to only add to the charm. Antiques of the likes I had never seen all meant for use, not just display.  


As we traveled around Atlanta and Savannah the friendliness continued. Everyone we met from shop clerks to museum curators had elaborate stories to tell us about the history and culture of Georgia. It was fascinating. It's not very often that we encounter such storytellers in our travels as we found during this trip. By day three, we had realized that we need to factor in storytelling time into each activity. It was unavoidable, everyone had a story to tell us. I did my best to take notes so I can retell some of the stories that we heard. 

No Novel Adventure is complete without including some of the food eaten in the book. During this trip I managed to scarf down fried chicken and biscuits, many sweet potatoes, barbecued pulled pork, country ham and grits, Scuppernog wine, cornbread, mint julep, bacon, yeast rolls, apples, collards, green beans, and fried green tomatoes. All in keeping with Gone With the Wind, of course. Scarlett did eat all of these things and more during the story. I didn't want to go hungry, six days is a long journey. So, I also indulged in country fried steak, barbecued ribs, a couple gallons of sweet tea and pimento cheese sandwiches among other things. So, when I am not blogging you should be able to find me at the gym working off this tasty vacation. 

Every trip always had that one special moment. No matter how much you plan or how many photos you take, there is always that one time to remember. Mine happens to be having the opportunity to meet with an old high school friend that I had not seen for 20 years. Wow! How fast those years flew by. It was great to have a few moments to catch up on all that we have done, to discuss our families and to remember the people we were. It's amazing how some special friends always hold the same place in your heart. The years go by but the friendship can be picked right back up. I am blessed to have all the memories that we share. I left that brief meeting with remembering the things I have been too busy to remember about myself.

 That's the purpose of travel, to discover things about yourself. The destination is just the place that it happens. While I learned much of the inside story about Gone With the Wind and have a better understanding of the Civil War and how we came out a different country. I too came out different. I was reminded of the girl I once was and brought a little bit of her back home to stay. It was another great adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment